Johnny Hunt, pastor of First Baptist Church of Woodstock, Ga., won the Southern Baptist Convention presidential election on the first ballot June 9 in Indianapolis.
Hunt received 3,100 votes (52.94 percent) out of 5,856 ballots cast.
He defeated a field of five other candidates. They and their vote totals were:
• Frank Cox, pastor of North Metro First Baptist Church in Lawrenceville, Ga., 1,286 votes; 21.96 percent.
• Avery Willis, retired vice president of the SBC International Mission Board, 962 votes; 16.43 percent.
• Bill Wagner, a former missionary and president of Olivet International University in San Francisco, 255 votes; 4.35 percent.
• Les Puryear, pastor of Lewisville (N.C.) Baptist Church, 188 votes; 3.21 percent.
• Wiley Drake, pastor of First Southern Baptist Church in Buena Park, Calif., and a former SBC second vice president, 45 votes; 0.77 percent.