- January 24, 2013
The problem: Abortion, not guns
Guns are not the problem in America. People who are full of demons kill the innocent.
Our larger problem of killing the innocent is abortion. One out of every four deaths is an abortion, since abortion was legalized in 1973, the Supreme Court in our nation under the deception of secular humanists, declared an unborn child is not a human or person yet.
The Bible says differently. Jeremiah 1:5 says life begins at conception; so does Psalm 139:13-16. Psalm 24:1 says all of life belongs to God. Earth, wild animals, fish, birds, people are God’s property. Deuteronomy 19:10, 13 and 21:9 say the shedding of innocent blood is murder and blood will be upon thee. Proverbs 6:17 says God hates the shedding of innocent blood.
The blood of millions of unborn children cry out to God today, and that innocent blood is on our hands.
Do you believe that guns are our problem? It is the medical instruments that kill innocent babies. That we do this by legal means is an abomination to almighty creator God.
We must repent, or we will cease to exist as America.
John R. Fisher
Regulate automatic weapons
About 30 U.S. murders occur daily. Guns are used in most murders. Actions can and should be taken to reduce the deplorable murder rate. Reductions could be accomplished by restrictioning who is permitted to purchase, possess and use weapons. Further reduction could be reached by enforcing regulations on the availability of certain kinds of guns.
Parts of the Second Amendment frequently are misused in discussions about gun controls. We should consider the total context for the Second Amendment.
During the early years of the United States, no standing army protected the nation. To meet the need for a military force to provide security, a citizens’ militia was formed. When the call to arms went out, the citizens would get their long rifles from their homes and assemble to defend the nation. There were no automatic weapons designed for the mass destruction of human life. In that era, more than two centuries ago, the Second Amendment was adopted. It is only one sentence in length. It reads: “A well regulated militia being necessary for the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.”
Our judicial history reveals the Second Amendment does not mean any person may keep any weapon and bear it at any place.
We urgently need more effective regulation of the manufacture, sale, possession and use of automatic weapons that have the capacity for the mass killing of human beings.
Interpreting the Constitution
Your interpretation of the Second Amendment is being applied to the First Amendment. No public prayer or nativity scenes. We must separate church and state. “In God We Trust” must be removed from our currency. Swearing on the Bible must stop, especially in regard to oaths of office. Crosses must not be displayed publicly, especially on public land. Charitable donations to religious organizations must not be tax-deductible. Religious organizations must pay their fair share of taxes. We are not a Christian nation so as not to offend other religious philosophies.
I have stood at the wall where Lutheran and Catholic priests were shot after ownership of guns was outlawed by the Nazi government “to promote a more peaceful and tranquil society.” That’s gun control.
Since we no longer need freedom to bear arms, we no longer need freedom of religion. Right?
Look up the word “facetious.”
10 percent is too little
I appreciate your editorial on tithing. I have preached more than a few sermons on the subject over the years.
I have no problem with suggesting, even encouraging, Christians to tithe—give 10 percent of their income—and you can make a strong biblical case, even in the New Testament.
However, just as big a problem as Christians who do not give at least a tithe is the number of Christians who feel good about their stewardship simply because they tithe. For most of us, our income is only a small portion of our wealth. It is estimated that only 10 percent of our wealth is cash; the other 90 percent is tied up in property and investments. Most tithers pat themselves on the back for giving a tenth, when in truth they are only giving a tenth of a tenth of what they actually own.
If we ever want to truly understand it all belongs to God, I suspect we are going to have to get rid of the 10 percent goal. It is far too low and provides an easy target, which allows us to be satisfied with what we have done.
Maximum length for publication is 250 words.