Digital Communications Specialist
- Full-time with salary & benefits. Funding is provided for one (1) year. Subsequent funding is contingent on increased reader engagement, ad sales and donor involvement.
- Reports to editor/publisher.
- Principal Function: Ensuring the Baptist Standard engages the digital space with excellence.
- The ideal person is a committed follower of Jesus Christ who views this position as a calling more than a job or career. While preference is given to persons with extensive background in the Baptist denomination, particularly the Baptist General Convention of Texas, those without this background must be willing to become proficient in communicating with Baptists.
- Ability to understand the goal, audience and message of the Baptist Standard Publishing Company
- Storytelling: excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to communicate with people at varying levels
- Creative eye and a strong sense of style
- Understanding of public relations and ability to generate PR materials
- Social media savvy: understanding the major platforms and how to use them, staying current with trends and new platforms
- Ability to work flexibly, independently and with a team
- Excellent time management, organization and attention to detail
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office applications (Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, Excel) and Adobe products (InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator)
- Bachelor degree in communications, public relations, journalism, marketing or related field and 2-3 years of experience in one of those fields
- Experience editing visual stories (including social graphics, audio, video and/or other multimedia) is not required, but is highly valued
- Commitment to self-improvement
- Build and engage audiences across digital platforms.
- Maintain and enhance the presence and content delivery of the Baptist Standard across digital platforms, including email.
- Support increased online readership through implementation of social media and other strategies.
- Participate in posting content to the website and preparing the Baptist Standard for distribution across digital platforms as needed.
- Monitor and manage a thoughtful amplification of social media posts per best practices.
- Schedule branded social media content during optimum periods and curate third-party (non-branded) content as appropriate.
- Market the Baptist Standard across digital platforms.
- Develop and implement new communication strategies to stay current with changes in digital technology, such as a podcast and videos.
- Collaborate with the managing editor and the editor/publisher for news gathering and to analyze online reader traffic and patterns, resulting in content planned for maximum readership.
- Provide reports and documentation of communication efforts and their effectiveness.
- Attend key events in order to create, curate and schedule social media content, then monitor, manage and amplify messages during events.
- Provide support for digital troubleshooting and help maintain relationship to the website developer.
- Design and post digital advertising as required.
- Maintain hardware and software used in the production of digital content.
- Engage in continuing education related to digital communication.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
To apply, contact Eric Black, editor/publisher, at email@example.com.